February 9, 2013 by somesauceontheside
I have found some great recipes with Quinoa and decided to spend my weekend cooking with Quinoa. I found the first recipe at Family Fresh Cooking and it was scrumptious. Breakfast never tasted so good!
Here are just a few reasons why I’m adding Quinoa to my diet:
- Complete protein. Quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids that are required by the body as building blocks for muscles.
- Magnesium helps relax your muscles and blood vessels and effects blood pressure. Quinoa contains high levels of this vital nutrient.
- Fiber. Quinoa is a fantastic way to ensure that you consume valuable fiber which helps you poop. Yes, I said poop. 🙂
- Manganese and copper. Quinoa is a good source of these minerals that act as antioxidants in your body to get rid of dangerous cancer and disease-causing substances.
Moving on to lunch….I threw together a healthy Greek Quinoa Salad. I found this recipe at With Style & Grace and it was a big hit with the family.
Another cool thing I read about Quinoa is that because it is rich in proteins, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and copper it helps prevent type 2 diabetes, childhood asthma, heart diseases, gallstones and migraines. Now that speaks to me loud and clear.
Of course in my family none of these things will mean diddly squat unless the food tastes amazing too.
While I was preparing these meals I was also enjoying some great music.
My Saturday Playlist:
- Pencil Full of Lead by Paolo Nutini
- Mercy by Duffy
- Dog Days Are Over by Florence + The Machines
- When My Time Comes by Dawes
- Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
- Wonder by Natalie Merchant
- Merry Happy by Kate Nash
- Carry You Home by James Blunt
- Give Me One Reason by Tracy Chapman
- Primadonna by Marina and The Diamonds
I wanted to let you all know that I’m extremely grateful for the people who have encouraged me to write. Your kind words make me smile and have faith that everything is going to be ok.